Child Injury Lawyer in Austin, Texas
Children are among the most vulnerable members of society. As a parent, you do your very best to keep your kids safe, but you can’t isolate them in a protective bubble all day, every day — nor would you want to. They will ride in cars. They will spend time at school and/or daycare. They will go to theme parks, swim in pools, and play with toys that you trust were manufactured to a certain standard of safety.
But sometimes, sadly, children are harmed not just by unavoidable accident, but due to the carelessness or disregard of another party, whether a person or business. And just as when an adult suffers a personal injury, the consequences can be costly — physically, emotionally, and financially.
If your child has been hurt and you believe someone else’s negligence is to blame, Chip Evans and his associates at the Evans & Herlihy Law Firm are ready to help. They have the experience and tenacity to track down the responsible parties and help you achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
When Is Legal Action Warranted?
Not every time a child is hurt calls for a lawsuit. For example, if your daughter is racing around the house and slips on the floor, bruising her knee, that’s just a kid being a kid. If you are outside the grocery store and she slips on a patch of ice, almost falling, you may want to tell the manager to put down some salt, but that’s no reason to file a lawsuit either.
As with any personal injury claim, a child injury case requires three elements: the existence of a serious injury, the failure of a certain party to exercise duty of care, and a demonstrated connection between the first two elements. In other words, if someone’s failure to exercise duty of care led to your child’s injury, you may be entitled to damages, or compensation, for harm inflicted.
Damages may include money for:
- Immediate and ongoing medical expenses
- Therapy and rehabilitation costs
- In cases of permanent disability, compensation for loss of future income
- Pain and emotional suffering.
Kids’ bodies and minds are still developing, so they are at risk of suffering injuries that severely impede their development and future earning potential. Plus, being young, they can often be expected to live (and require care) for many more decades. Due to these factors, they may be entitled to more damages than a similarly injured adult.
Common Child Injury Scenarios
As child injury lawyers, we’ve seen it all. We know that injury can occur to your kids in many environments and situations, including:
- Car accidents. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that transportation injuries are the leading cause of death for children. While most victims are passengers, some are killed due to being hit by a car while biking or walking.
- Amusement park accidents. If lax safety protocols or maintenance led to your child’s being hurt on a ride or on the grounds, you may be entitled to compensation.
- Caregiver negligence or abuse. You entrust your daycare to keep your children safe. If they’ve failed, we can help you hold them accountable.
- Defective-product injuries. Has your child been hurt by a toy or other product that you believe has a safety flaw?
- Medical negligence injuries. You expect doctors and other medical professionals to help your children, not hurt them. If your child is a victim of medical negligence, we can help.
- Swimming pool accidents. A drowning or near-drowning can happen in an instant. Call us if you believe a pool owner failed to exercise duty of care.
Common Types of Injuries
While the injuries kids suffer vary enormously from case to case — and a single incident may result in more than one type of injury to the victim — here are a few of the child injuries we tend to see in our claims:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Complex bone fractures
- Injuries to the spinal cord
- Exposure to lead or other toxic substances
- Birth Injuries
- Damage to the internal organs
- Injuries to the neck and back.
If Your Child’s Been Injured, Contact Our Child Injury Lawyers
Austin, TX, child injury lawyer Chip Evans and his associates will fight for your family. If your kid has been hurt and you believe it’s due to someone’s negligence, contact us right away. Our skilled attorneys know how to navigate the system and win the damages your child needs. We offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose. Give us a call or get in touch online.