call for a free consultation (855)414-1012

Texas Out-of-State Order Lawyer

When a court issues an order, that order is applicable even if those named in the order relocate to another state. This is true of most types of orders, including protective orders, custody orders and child support orders.

When a parent moves out-of-state, they will still be required by law to pay child support. There are many tools that the government can use to make sure that a parent will pay support, ranging from wage garnishment to revoking a driver’s license.

If you are owed child support, the attorneys at the Evans & Herlihy Law Firm might be able to help. We will work for your best interests to make sure that out-of-state orders are enforced.

Paying Out-of-State Child Support

The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act requires states to enforce orders from other states with the intent of ensuring that recipients are paid and that those paying support aren’t required to do so by more than one state. For example, if a parent has moved from Idaho to Texas and that person has been ordered by Idaho courts to pay child support, Texas can enforce payment of the child support.

Enforcing Child Support Payment

There are different ways that the state can make a parent pay child support. This includes:

  • Wage Garnishment
  • Revoking Driver’s License
  • Property Seizure
  • Suspending Professional Licenses

Failure to Pay Support

If one parent fails to pay child support, there will often be a court date scheduled in which both parents may appear. For the parent who is out-of-state, these meetings can be attended via telephone so they don’t have to travel to the other parent’s state.

Protective Orders

Austin Family Lawyer

Protective orders will be observed by every state should a person decide to relocate. If you believe that someone is violating an out-of-state protective order, it is vital that you take immediate action. Contact law enforcement officials and notify your attorney of the violation.

If you have concerns over an out-of-state order, contact the family law attorneys at the Evans & Herlihy Law Firm. We will help ensure that all orders are being enforced and that you get the payments or protection provided by out-of-state court orders.

Attorney Scott Herlihy

Attorney Scott HerlihyScott handles a wide range of family law matters, both contested and uncontested, including divorces involving both large and complex estates as well as more modest asset and property divisions, modifications of Texas and out-of-state orders, custody disputes, establishment and enforcement of child support, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, paternity cases, and grandparents’ rights matters. [ Attorney Bio ]